Golden Gaels Photos
Queen's Golden Gaellery by Jeff Chan
Ottawa at Queen's 20061007
Happy thanksgiving to everyone from the Starbucks on Pinecrest in Ottawa. Hope you all have a great weekend - better than the Gaels had as they went down to their 4th straight loss, 34-13, this time at the hands of the Ottawa Gee Gees.
Once again, the Queen's offense had trouble getting untracked - too few moments of promise coupled with too many 2 and outs. Without benefit of the box scores which are still not available this Sunday morning, highlights were:
1. Some great punting by Ryan Elger, two of which resulted in Ottawa mishandles and turnovers, (but neither of which were converted to major scores). Elger also accounted for a majority of the Queen's scoring with 2 field goals, a convert...and
2. A completed pass (1 for 1) on a fake punt that was good for a first down early in the game
3. Some great play by the defense, including an inspired goal line stand (that was wasted after Ottawa's turnover on downs and a bungled pitch-out that cost Queen's the one unintentional safety of many in the game).
4. Backup QB Ibrahim Zylstra's first TD pass (to Brad Smith) late in the game (which made up for a shaky start on his entry into the game).
5. Queen's scoring first with an Elger field goal, (which didn't hold up, but at least the Gaels weren't playing catch up from the first minutes of the game).
6. The best weather of the 2006 season.
The Gaels next game is on October 14 in the friendly confines of York University Stadium. It's against the York Lions (not the UofT Blues who have been known to play the odd home game there) Remember, the QFC is organizing a pre-game tail-gate party in the parking lot East of the stadium. Party time is noon. Game time at 2pm.
All photos are Copyright (c) Jeff Chan 2006, but may be used for personal non-commercial use, or by Queen's University or the Vanier Cup with appropriate photo credit, unless otherwise authorized.
All photos on this site are Copyright © Jeff Chan, and may be used for personal non-commercial applications including by Queen's University, and U Sports Canada and its member conferences, other participating teams, so long as photo credits are shown or the photos are otherwise attributed to Jeff Chan.
All other rights, including for all corporate and media use, are strictly reserved.